Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas 2010

Somebody loved Christmas this year! And it wasn't just me. Lily loved every bit of Christmas - the lights, the songs, the cookies, the stories, the characters (she even sat on Santa's lap this year). Everything. It would be hard to pick a favorite, but she would definitely give a nod to Rudolph and if I can figure out how to add video to Blogger, I'll share some more of the Red-Nosed Reindeer soon.


Perhaps in a typecast, Lily played an angel in her preschool Christmas production. Grandparents traveled from near and far to watch Lily perform... not much of anything. She appeared to mouth the words to her two songs, but was bent on solving the problem of a troublesome string fraying from her ribbon belt and looked too shell-shocked to do much of anything else up on stage. She told me later that night, "Mommy, I knew all the motions to the songs, but I didn't do them because I was looking at my ribbon." But, don't worry, we bought the DVD of the performance and we'll move you to tears (from laughing so hard) and show you someday.


Lily and I left a message for Santa on the driveway during the week before Christmas:


(I think it worked!)

On Christmas Eve, we went to the family service at our church, where the kids could choose a costume to be a part of the living nativity. Of course, Lily chose - an angel, tilted halo and all:
As an aside, some of the funniest things I heard this Christmas season were Lily's stories. If she thinks no one is listening, she'll make up and narrate elaborate stories with several characters and twists and turns along the way. An excerpt: "Oh no! The Abominable Snow Monster has kidnapped Baby Jesus and taken him to his cave. Don't worry Baby Jesus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman will get a candy cane rope and save you. We'll take you back to Mary and Joseph and the Gingerbread man in Santa's sleigh." This is not an exaggeration - I love her creativity.

And the long-awaited day - Christmas morning! Lily must have been good this year. Santa brought her a scooter and the much desired Cinderella carriage, along with some books and a few gifts homemade with love by Mommy. Lily was also spoiled by grandparents, uncles and aunt, and friends.
The homemade ladybug pillow pet:
Christmas through the eyes of a 3 1/2 year-old was something truly special.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment